OSHA Training
Outreach Trainer Resources and Reporting Tool

Certificate Programs Frequently Asked Questions

I have a bachelor's degree and am employed. Would a certificate program benefit me?
Yes, certificate programs offer concentrated study in areas directly applicable to many jobs and can add breadth and depth to your existing knowledge and skills. Completion of a certificate program can help you make the transition to a new career.
Can I take courses without being registered in a certificate program?
It is highly recommended to enroll in a certificate program once you have determined which program is appropriate for you. From the date of your registration in the certificate program, you have five years to complete the required coursework.
How many credits do I need to earn for a certificate?
  • PSHO: A minimum of 22.5 units
  • SHS: 11.5 units
  • PCOSH: A single certificate in Construction or General Industry requires 24 units of credit. The dual certificate requires 35 units.
Which course should I take first? (PSHO and PCOSH Certificates)
If you are new to UCSD we recommend you begin your coursework with:
Once you have completed one of the Prerequisite courses above and have a minimum of 5 years in occupational health and safety, you are then qualified to become an Outreach Trainer. You can then complete either of the following:
Which course should I take first? (SHS Certificate)
It is recommended that you begin your coursework with:
In what order should I take the courses after finishing the fundamental OSHA courses?
There is no required order to the coursework. Once you have completed the prerequisites or foundational courses you can take any course in your area of interest.
How much does the certificate program cost?
There is a $95 non-refundable certificate fee to register in the certificate program; however there is no application fee. For individual course fees, see the details associated with each course. Add the costs of all the courses you need to complete the program to estimate the total program costs. You pay for the courses as you take them.
How do I register for a certificate program?
Register for your certificate program online by clicking the Register Now button on the individual certificate program page, or choose one of the following options:
  • Phone: (800) 358-9206 - Press Option 1
  • Fax: (858) 246-1031
  • Mail your enrollment and payment to:
  • OSHA Training Institute Education Center
  • 6256 Greenwich Dr.
  • San Diego, CA 92122
Additional Professional Certificate Information
5 Year Rule: Students have five (5) years to complete all coursework towards a Specialized or Professional Certificate. The five years begins on the date of the first UCSD OSHA Training Institute Education Center (OTIEC) course taken and applied to the certificate requirements.

Transfer and Substitute Credit:
  • Students may transfer or substitute a maximum of two (2) authorized numbered OTIEC courses for the Professional Certificates. Prerequisite courses for the PSHO Certificate are included in this policy.
    • The OSHA 500 and OSHA 501 trainer courses are not allowed to be transferred into the PSHO Certificate.
  • Students may not transfer or substitute any courses for the SHS Specialized Certificate.
  • Appropriate transcripts and copies of official OSHA Training Institute Education Center certificates must be forwarded to the UCSD OSHA Training Institute Education Center.
  • Email oshatraining@ucsd.edu for questions.


Please contact the department at oshatraining@ucsd.edu.

Contact Us | Refund Policy | Privacy Policy | InstructorLink | Site Map